Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

What's Your Excuse?

• Please log in to reply

dreamist

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

dreamist

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
I remember 10 years ago when I just got my driving licence, those friendly spirit were no longer exist... (sad)

Nowadays, most of the people are only thinking for themselve. Selfish, just take and don't want to give. And that's why those spirit gone. Somemore immature... driving like racing... rushing for nothing... just because they feel no face if they lose...
I believe this is a side-effect of developing country...

KrisMas

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
So what, everybody else are doing it. Why shouldn't I? Simple, BECAUSE IT'S WRONG....period.

QUOTE (lancer1981 @ Oct 11 2011, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro. I am just like you, am wondering what happened to our drivers in this country. Driving is no longer relaxing like the old days. I share your sentiment. I am a very considerate driver and 99% of the time I am law abiding. Most of the time our signage land me into trouble especially when I going to a new place. Story too long to write. Don't give up.

Good to hear this. I guess there's still hope. Though the group is getting closer and closer to extinction.

I only reserve that 1% for emergency situations. I just couldn't make myself to go over the speed limit even if I'm late for an urgent meeting. But, of course, I just 'makan gaji' so even if I'm late (which I rarely am) I'm not going to loose anything. Unlike those BIG businessman where being late would cause them to loose BIG money. But, is that a good excuse to speed? I'd say NOT. It's their own fault for poor time management and they shouldn't risk the life of others with such a selfish excuse.

QUOTE (kaylcar @ Oct 11 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not sure I agree with this...don't think that driving attitude has changed very much, only much more cars on the road so got more frustrations....and driving is much faster now so no time to do all these things?!

Driving attitude HAS changed, whether you realised it or not. What you just implied is that the QUANTITY of drivers on the road has increase but the QUALITY has declined.

QUOTE (dreamist @ Oct 12 2011, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember 10 years ago when I just got my driving licence, those friendly spirit were no longer exist... (sad)

Nowadays, most of the people are only thinking for themselve. Selfish, just take and don't want to give. And that's why those spirit gone. Somemore immature... driving like racing... rushing for nothing... just because they feel no face if they lose...
I believe this is a side-effect of developing country...

Bro, those friendly spirits still exist. It's just that most people are just blind and can't recognize one even if they pass in front of your eyes. But the big question is: How about YOU?

Anybody here has any experience driving in Europe or the US? I know the big city would be such an annoying place to drive, but driving around in the country side in the UK/Europe is such a relaxing pastime activity.

eohl79

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Oct 12 2011, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody here has any experience driving in Europe or the US? I know the big city would be such an annoying place to drive, but driving around in the country side in the UK/Europe is such a relaxing pastime activity.

I drove in US twice so far: 2 years ago and last year. 3 months stint there at a time. Drove quite a lot - even did a 3000miles cannonball run over 5 days across highways, cities, outskirts, country side, state parks, etc. On dry, wet, dirt and snow roads. My say, North California (San Fran, San Jose, etc) is a nice place to drive. Most drivers are courteous and have very good driving etiquette. You can have a cross junction with no traffic lights - driver on each side of the junction take turns to cross one at a time. Turning right on a junction where the lights are red is possible if there are no crossing cars. People give way if there is a fast driver from behind. Drivers stop at zebra crossings and go slow near residential areas. Signal lights are being used. There are dedicated car pool lanes which no one uses unless there is a min number of occupants in a car. Besides left hand drive, adapting to driving on their roads/highway is easy and very forgiving. Sorry to say but Southern California closer to the big city like LA has more reckless and ruthless drivers on the roads. More drivers zooming across the highways and weaving in and out from what I've experienced. Country sides in the states are nice to drive too. Overall, I guess why drivers there obey the law and have good driving etiquette is because of good law enforcement and regulations. You don't want to mess with the cops or highway patrol. Know a couple of friends getting a USD300 speeding ticket! Driving there actually made me a better driver.

KrisMas

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
I figured as much. So it can't be due to the "side-effect-of-developing-country"......

I'm curious about how the drivers in Japan behave. We all know very well how disciplined and well behaved they were after the big tsunami hit their country. Anybody got any idea?

vr2turbo

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ Oct 12 2011, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I drove in US twice so far: 2 years ago and last year. 3 months stint there at a time. Drove quite a lot - even did a 3000miles cannonball run over 5 days across highways, cities, outskirts, country side, state parks, etc. On dry, wet, dirt and snow roads. My say, North California (San Fran, San Jose, etc) is a nice place to drive. Most drivers are courteous and have very good driving etiquette. You can have a cross junction with no traffic lights - driver on each side of the junction take turns to cross one at a time. Turning right on a junction where the lights are red is possible if there are no crossing cars. People give way if there is a fast driver from behind. Drivers stop at zebra crossings and go slow near residential areas. Signal lights are being used. There are dedicated car pool lanes which no one uses unless there is a min number of occupants in a car. Besides left hand drive, adapting to driving on their roads/highway is easy and very forgiving. Sorry to say but Southern California closer to the big city like LA has more reckless and ruthless drivers on the roads. More drivers zooming across the highways and weaving in and out from what I've experienced. Country sides in the states are nice to drive too. Overall, I guess why drivers there obey the law and have good driving etiquette is because of good law enforcement and regulations. You don't want to mess with the cops or highway patrol. Know a couple of friends getting a USD300 speeding ticket! Driving there actually made me a better driver.

I have a school mate now residing in New Zealand. Imagine after 10 years there, he came back for a visit. His sister loan him her car. He drove and reach the first intersection from his mother's house, waited a while and then reverse back. He mention in New Zealand they will let him out of the junction, but here, the car are flying pass, so much so he gave up.....

vr2turbo

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Oct 12 2011, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figured as much. So it can't be due to the "side-effect-of-developing-country"......

I'm curious about how the drivers in Japan behave. We all know very well how disciplined and well behaved they were after the big tsunami hit their country. Anybody got any idea?

I visited Japan two years back. All I can say I love that place even though it is so expensive. It is clean and all are so well behaved. Do you know that when the pedestrian walk is on red lights and there are no cars passing by, everyone waits for it to turn green. I told some of those (staff) with me, they better not do the Malaysian style, if not when go back I will hantam them.
As for the cars, very little or no horning. We were on the bus caught in the usual Tokyo traffic and every one drives within limits and when they change lanes, they signal and whatever be it car, bus or lorry they let them in. Same on the highway which was also jam coming into the city.
As for town traffic, even when the lights are green and there are pedestrian crossing, the cars stop for them to cross first... smile_thumbup.gif

eohl79

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
My friend from India told me no problem driving here in Malaysia. He told me I won't dare to drive back there especially at the big cities...

What does it take to change the attitude of Malaysian drivers? I know lots of people would say, if you can't beat them join them smile_blackeye.gif

KrisMas

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 12 2011, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the cars, very little or no horning. We were on the bus caught in the usual Tokyo traffic and every one drives within limits and when they change lanes, they signal and whatever be it car, bus or lorry they let them in. Same on the highway which was also jam coming into the city.
As for town traffic, even when the lights are green and there are pedestrian crossing, the cars stop for them to cross first... smile_thumbup.gif

That's exactly what I think signal lights are for. Signaling to state your INTENTION to turn or, in the case of changing lane, signaling to state your intention and, if in traffic jam or slow traffic, REQUESTING FOR PERMISSION to step in front of the car who has the RIGHT of using that lane. NOT signaling and saying, "WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT I'm turning in".

I'm now becoming more and more depressed when driving around, ferrying my kids to and fro school. Keeping my anger at bay so that I can teach my kids to be courteous and considerate later on when they get their driving license. But most of the times what came out from my mouth are much of the 'Don't...', 'It's wrong...', etc. all the negatives and very seldom I would say 'Do like that person....'.

tpl

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

tpl

N20 Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,101 posts
just bcos of undertable..
2012 NMT President

vr2turbo

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (KrisMas @ Oct 13 2011, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm now becoming more and more depressed when driving around, ferrying my kids to and fro school. Keeping my anger at bay so that I can teach my kids to be courteous and considerate later on when they get their driving license. But most of the times what came out from my mouth are much of the 'Don't...', 'It's wrong...', etc. all the negatives and very seldom I would say 'Do like that person....'.

My elder kid is driving now, and when we are in the car he gets nagged after, but could be a losing battle as he might join them as bro. eohl79 mentioned...... smile_blackeye.gif