Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Noise When Turning

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

wnq8585

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

wnq8585

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Mr Rex270 AWD makes thud thud noise when turning but nothing when driving straight line.

Sound seem to be from the prop shaft.

This happen when stop at junction and accelerating slow to turn left or right.

Did a test in the open car park by turning the steering to full turn and slow accelerating the thud thud sound and shaking can be felt.

Though was the AWD engage but don't think so. Push the 4H and 4L to test and can feel the thud when engaging.

Any SIFU has this problem and how was it resolve.

neonlee

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

neonlee

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts
QUOTE (wnq8585 @ Oct 9 2011, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mr Rex270 AWD makes thud thud noise when turning but nothing when driving straight line.

Did a test in the open car park by turning the steering to full turn and slow accelerating the thud thud sound and shaking can be felt.

Though was the AWD engage but don't think so. Push the 4H and 4L to test and can feel the thud when engaging.

Hi bro,the sound from behind?

wnq8585

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

wnq8585

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
QUOTE (neonlee @ Oct 9 2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi bro,the sound from behind?

The sound is coming from the front.

No such thud thud noise even when accelerating hard.

neonlee

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

neonlee

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts
QUOTE (wnq8585 @ Oct 9 2011, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sound is coming from the front.

No such thud thud noise even when accelerating hard.

Since urs is awd,possible the sound come from drive shaft,is it the sound like "klak klak klak"?
Try to check the rubber cover of the drive shaft joint..sand and water get into the driveshaft join it will damage it..

byebye2u

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

in front of battery, lower part there is 2 vacuum hose, looks like "C" and "J" shape. when the hose bended, it tend to break. if cannot find the parts, can use blue silicone vacuum hose, but make sure same size air tight, if loose the vacuum could leak.

I suspect the the hose leak, somehow partially engage the 4WD/front HUB, pressuring the hub/tyre/drive shaft when cornering and giving the noise.

NIK

byebye2u

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (neonlee @ Oct 9 2011, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since urs is awd,possible the sound come from drive shaft,is it the sound like "klak klak klak"?
Try to check the rubber cover of the drive shaft joint..sand and water get into the driveshaft join it will damage it..

ops....yours AWD..okay

then check all 4 tyres, is it evenly wear?

for AWD, even if one tyre differ in wear/type/size , the differential system will detect, try to rectify/calibrate and giving the thud thud sound too. it happened to Bro Blit AWD before, fix when he change all 4 tyre brand new. it is advisable for AWD to rotate tyres every 5000 km.

NIK

tkw138

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

tkw138

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
QUOTE (byebye2u @ Oct 9 2011, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ops....yours AWD..okay

then check all 4 tyres, is it evenly wear?

for AWD, even if one tyre differ in wear/type/size , the differential system will detect, try to rectify/calibrate and giving the thud thud sound too. it happened to Bro Blit AWD before, fix when he change all 4 tyre brand new. it is advisable for AWD to rotate tyres every 5000 km.

NIK

Need to check the CV joint. This problem only happened on the front wheels. Most of the time started at one side.

rextonuser

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

rextonuser

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Hi Bro,

may i know what sizes of tyre you using? Because me had same problem before, after check with my mechanic found that the tyre are too big and scracth the mud plate when doing the turning. currenty using tyre size (265/70/16).

wnq8585

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

wnq8585

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
QUOTE (rextonuser @ Oct 10 2011, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Bro,

may i know what sizes of tyre you using? Because me had same problem before, after check with my mechanic found that the tyre are too big and scracth the mud plate when doing the turning. currenty using tyre size (265/70/16).

The tyre size 255/65/70.

Maybe its the tyre because I am using the spare which is 1/2 worn that the 3/4 new tire. Will get it change to front tyre change to the rear.

Will also check the tube as advised by bro byebye2U. Pressing 4H and 4L gives the thud sound and this should indicate the engagement is OK.

TQ for all the advise and will update when I get the tyre change to the rear

byebye2u

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (wnq8585 @ Oct 10 2011, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The tyre size 255/65/70.

Maybe its the tyre because I am using the spare which is 1/2 worn that the 3/4 new tire. Will get it change to front tyre change to the rear.

Will also check the tube as advised by bro byebye2U. Pressing 4H and 4L gives the thud sound and this should indicate the engagement is OK.

TQ for all the advise and will update when I get the tyre change to the rear

nope, if you move the odd tyre to rear, then the sound will still be there because the AWD system will calculate all 4 tyres must stick to the road when turning or in straight road. what happen to the original same size tyre, can't you use it back?

on AWD all 4 tyres must be equal in size and wear, unless on bmw x5,x6 or audi where their AWD much much advance.