Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Sonata Yf Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

batman72

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

batman72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello everyone, I noticed that my Sonata YF (release in Jan 2011) which is about 10 months old seems to be having a lot of vibration when the car is in idle mode. If you were to open the bonnet, I can see the engine shaking rigorously up to the point when the bonnet is closed, the bonet is also shaking (vibrating). This causes the entire car to vibrate akin to a car which is 4 year old or more. I am not sure if everyone is facing this problem.

I realized this problem came about when I was driving back from Penang on the highway, from Taiping, I was travelling almost 200km/h all the way back to KL. The RPM during that time on 6th gear was around 5000. The engine also now sounds noiser than before.

What do you think is wrong with the car? I took it back to the small SC in Bandar Puteri Puchong, but he could not resolve the problem. I'm not sure if the bigger SC in Glenmarie can resolve this problem? I hope all brothers here will be able to provide some advice on what I should do?

I am surprise this is happening to such a lovely car and I wonder if anyone of you have strain the engine like I did and has this problem?

Thanks

mrrc

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

mrrc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
bro,

I have nv taken my car beyond 3.5k, my max speed was 140 (only twice).
but I do have engine vibration problem (and I notice it is more noticeable now). When engine idle, the vibration intrude into the cabin like a wave splashing the shore! I dont like it (even my 5 years city didnt treat me this way).
nonetheless, I didnt get out of the car and open see the engine. so I am not too sure if mine is as bad as yours.
I am approaching 3rd service, want to ask them them change the mounting and see if it will help.

batman72

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

batman72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
QUOTE (mrrc @ Sep 29 2011, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bro,

I have nv taken my car beyond 3.5k, my max speed was 140 (only twice).
but I do have engine vibration problem (and I notice it is more noticeable now). When engine idle, the vibration intrude into the cabin like a wave splashing the shore! I dont like it (even my 5 years city didnt treat me this way).
nonetheless, I didnt get out of the car and open see the engine. so I am not too sure if mine is as bad as yours.
I am approaching 3rd service, want to ask them them change the mounting and see if it will help.

Hi bro, that's already two cars here. My mileage is around 13k. U shd open the bonnet to see the engine. Mine I can see the engine shaking a lot with idle. Imagine if not for the new mountings the car will be vibrating even more. I can see the rubber mounts are absorbing the vibration a lot. Mind you when the RPM goes above 1k, the vibration stops. Hence wats wrong with the car engine? Even my 4 years Innova don't vibrate so much. By right even when we reach 5000+ RPM the engine should know how to protect itself right, since it's a 2 litre car. Also this afternoon a weird thing happen. While driving the car around 60km/h, suddenly the engine got cut off!!! All lights on the dashboard came on. But the radio was still playing. I lost power steering also. Had to stop the car by the side of the road n tried pressing the start button a few times until the engine started again. Wat happen? Could it relate to the engine vibration? Any help?

bbkat

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

bbkat

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
QUOTE (batman72 @ Sep 29 2011, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi bro, that's already two cars here. My mileage is around 13k. U shd open the bonnet to see the engine. Mine I can see the engine shaking a lot with idle. Imagine if not for the new mountings the car will be vibrating even more. I can see the rubber mounts are absorbing the vibration a lot. Mind you when the RPM goes above 1k, the vibration stops. Hence wats wrong with the car engine? Even my 4 years Innova don't vibrate so much. By right even when we reach 5000+ RPM the engine should know how to protect itself right, since it's a 2 litre car. Also this afternoon a weird thing happen. While driving the car around 60km/h, suddenly the engine got cut off!!! All lights on the dashboard came on. But the radio was still playing. I lost power steering also. Had to stop the car by the side of the road n tried pressing the start button a few times until the engine started again. Wat happen? Could it relate to the engine vibration? Any help?

I noticed the engine vibration too when I was inspecting my car before collecting it. I first refused to accept the car and it was "hospitalized" at Glenmarie SC for a day to rectify the vibration problem. According to the Service Advisor the vibration is rather normal as the engine is set at a lower rpm to reduce CO2 emission hence the vibration when the engine is fully warmed up and idle. The mechanics did also perform some checkings on the ECU/motherboard (sorry not very familiar with the technical stuff) and it was perfectly fine. They even showed me another unit of 2.0 at the SC and the vibration is rather similar. Due to my limited knowledge in this area I actually bought the idea and collected the car as it is.

I noticed once before that the bonnet was also vibrating but minimal so I somehow ignored it. That was after driving it for a while (no speeding) in a hot sunny afternoon and the car was idling. Normally during evening/night time the vibration wasn't visible at the bonnet even after it has been driven around, hence not sure if the engine or its surrounding environment temperature will actually affect it too?

Your encounter with the engine cut off is quite scary... there are some others experiencing the same problem before perhaps you can refer back to some older posts in AW or straight bring it for a check at SC. Do share the findings and hopefully it was nothing serious...

FYI... my car was early 2011 batch and this weekend it will undergo the exhaust pipe replacement due to defect. Sighh! unsure.gif

batman72

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

batman72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
QUOTE (bbkat @ Sep 30 2011, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed the engine vibration too when I was inspecting my car before collecting it. I first refused to accept the car and it was "hospitalized" at Glenmarie SC for a day to rectify the vibration problem. According to the Service Advisor the vibration is rather normal as the engine is set at a lower rpm to reduce CO2 emission hence the vibration when the engine is fully warmed up and idle. The mechanics did also perform some checkings on the ECU/motherboard (sorry not very familiar with the technical stuff) and it was perfectly fine. They even showed me another unit of 2.0 at the SC and the vibration is rather similar. Due to my limited knowledge in this area I actually bought the idea and collected the car as it is.

I noticed once before that the bonnet was also vibrating but minimal so I somehow ignored it. That was after driving it for a while (no speeding) in a hot sunny afternoon and the car was idling. Normally during evening/night time the vibration wasn't visible at the bonnet even after it has been driven around, hence not sure if the engine or its surrounding environment temperature will actually affect it too?

Your encounter with the engine cut off is quite scary... there are some others experiencing the same problem before perhaps you can refer back to some older posts in AW or straight bring it for a check at SC. Do share the findings and hopefully it was nothing serious...

FYI... my car was early 2011 batch and this weekend it will undergo the exhaust pipe replacement due to defect. Sighh! unsure.gif

I was thinking of taking a video of the engine vibration to see if the rest or the owners in this forum are facing the same problem. The car still drives very smoothly during normal speeds but whenever I come to the traffic lights or stop the car, the vibration is very noticeable n irritating. It is as though the car has already aged when the rubber mounts holding the engine to the chasis of the car hardens. On the steering wheel, I can feel the vibration. I can't imagine when the car ages, how this vibration is going to feel. What about the other owners, c'mon please share your thoughts whether this is standard in all the Sonatas or whether you have resolved this at the SCs.

As for the engine cutting off halfway, I did a test just now. I was driving around 30km/h, I kept pressing the Start/Stop Engine button. After a few times, guess what, the engine did cut-off while the car was still moving and engaged in gear, but this time, the radio also died. By pressin the Start button again (while the car was still moving), automatically restarted the engine.

I retried again by pressing the Start/Stop button, but after that, the engine didnt cut-off anymore, even after pressing the button for like 20 times. Hmmm I wonder what happen? Why did it happen first time round or was it related to earlier incident when the engine cut-off automatically?

Actually, if this keeps happening, its very dangerous. Imagine trying to cross a heavy road with loads of cars and suddenly your engine died. Shouldn't there be a recall by Hyundai for this problem? Anyone working in Hyundai who are in this forum...I feel like writing to Sime Darby and complaining about this dangerous situation.

wheeLSpin

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

wheeLSpin

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 880 posts
Batman, Actually most of d prob is already discussed on anOther thread w the same topic as this. Yf problem. U can read there......

hongkie123

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

hongkie123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
" According to the Service Advisor the vibration is rather normal as the engine is set at a lower rpm to reduce CO2 emission hence the vibration when the engine is fully warmed up and idle..."

To me normal means there is no vibration when idle even at low RPM. This is 2011 not 1960s.

That's why I said in Santa Fe thread that Hyundai SD accepts mediocrity as norm. More than half the people in HSD are formerly Protong fellas. Like in Protong, what will they say when there is something not right with the Protong? Biasa la, ini Protong. Now we are getting this "Biasa la, ini Hyundai". But they purposely forgot to tell you Protong Saga is RM38K a piece, Sonata is RM145K a piece.

I also mentioned in SF thread that even the test drive cars for Santa Fe and Tucson have got vibrating seats and I together with a technical guy from a HSD contractor pointed to SC guy where the fault is. I have never test drove the Sonata before. Apart my my persistent car seat noise, I told Glenmarie SC that the door knob opening feel is not right. I told them rattling of wipers (notice the lower end of your wiper on returning wipe) is not normal. I told them steering wheel vibrating at high speed is not normal. I told them the roof racks are loose. I told them the radio goes crazy once a while. I told them 5,000 km service interval does not sound right (Captiva 10,000 km interval, Pajero Sport 10,000km interval and many others). I told them their service sucks. I told them their authorised dealer hijacked my car for preferred customers. Guess what HSD did? They did 2 things i.e. (1) pretend nothing happens (2) told me it's normal.

I am looking for another car to replace an old Protong and despite all these Elantra/Volestro or whatever new fancy launches, it just could not get me interested in Hyundai.

I say this again, I bought my last and only Hyundai.

tanhb

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

tanhb

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
Yes this vibration issue been repeated many times in another similar thread. Probably mod here can merge this wth existing thread.

I came from Honda and yes, Stock Sonata vibrate worst than my older Civic FD1 when I test drove the car and even decided to buy haha.. Anyway, it's just slight vibration-lah. I got it reduced tremendously by Autofoam comfort. Now, I can say that the vibration level already equal to my old Civic FD1. Anyway, mind you Civic FD1 score lower interm of othyer comfort level compare to Sonata except the vibration problem.

From the overall built of the car, My Theory (Well from my personal opinion hor smile_blush.gif )

1- The small Hydraulic mounting compare wth the gigantic hydraul;ic mounting in Civic / nissan cars
2 - Theta II engine was based on Mitsubishi/US ... Mitsubishi engine is famous for loud & hard shaking - just like old protons.
3 - The idle RPM..yeah really low- ~ 625 rpm..This highly resulted in higher vibration

Anyway, I'm pretty happy now as the vibration is almost cured wth Autofoam. Well, I can't say 100% but to the level of my old Civic haha
Nissan Sunny 1995......Wira 1.5A 1997.....Citroen ZX1.8  2002....Nissan Sentra 1.6 2004.....Waja 1.6X 2004 (Co car)....Honda 8th Gen 1.8 2006...Hyundai Sonata YF 2011

adrwoon

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

adrwoon

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
QUOTE (batman72 @ Sep 30 2011, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of taking a video of the engine vibration to see if the rest or the owners in this forum are facing the same problem. The car still drives very smoothly during normal speeds but whenever I come to the traffic lights or stop the car, the vibration is very noticeable n irritating. It is as though the car has already aged when the rubber mounts holding the engine to the chasis of the car hardens. On the steering wheel, I can feel the vibration. I can't imagine when the car ages, how this vibration is going to feel. What about the other owners, c'mon please share your thoughts whether this is standard in all the Sonatas or whether you have resolved this at the SCs.

As for the engine cutting off halfway, I did a test just now. I was driving around 30km/h, I kept pressing the Start/Stop Engine button. After a few times, guess what, the engine did cut-off while the car was still moving and engaged in gear, but this time, the radio also died. By pressin the Start button again (while the car was still moving), automatically restarted the engine.

I retried again by pressing the Start/Stop button, but after that, the engine didnt cut-off anymore, even after pressing the button for like 20 times. Hmmm I wonder what happen? Why did it happen first time round or was it related to earlier incident when the engine cut-off automatically?

Actually, if this keeps happening, its very dangerous. Imagine trying to cross a heavy road with loads of cars and suddenly your engine died. Shouldn't there be a recall by Hyundai for this problem? Anyone working in Hyundai who are in this forum...I feel like writing to Sime Darby and complaining about this dangerous situation.

i would think the car shouldn't shut off the engine once you've past a certain speed (in this case it seems 30km/h)- even if you do press the Start/Stop. Once you cut off all power you're left with whatever vacuum pressure is in the brakes and after pumping the pedal a few times, there'll be no more additional stopping power.. add to that the steering locking system..

but the engine cutoff while driving is a serious issue.. btw, do you wash your car yourself or send it to a car detailing centre? the problem with our car is that the flippin' ECU is mounted just behind the battery and isn't very well protected against the elements (actually there's almost no protection??).. so avoid washing the engine bay for fear of getting the ECU wet..

also someone mentioned somewhere there was the possibility of the oxygen/air sensor (?can't remember the correct name of it right now) being blocked/damaged and if that happens, automatic engine cut-off as a safety feature to the engine.. again, this is exposed to water in washing of the engine bay.. actually i've never heard of anyone washing the engine bay except here in Malaysia (well not in Manila and Melbourne anyway smile_big.gif)
I don't want to be a genius - I have enough problems just trying to be a man.
Albert Camus

tanhb

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

tanhb

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
Oh BTW, recently I managed to sit-in (Not test drive) a new Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 which is still not in the market yet. Mind you the vibration level is even worst than Sonata - Steering & whole body vibration is so obvious
Nissan Sunny 1995......Wira 1.5A 1997.....Citroen ZX1.8  2002....Nissan Sentra 1.6 2004.....Waja 1.6X 2004 (Co car)....Honda 8th Gen 1.8 2006...Hyundai Sonata YF 2011