Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

How To Upgrade Old Wira Audio Player To Usb

• Please log in to reply

chopin

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

chopin

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Hi all. I own an old Wira 1.5 that has an audio player that doesn't have any USB or auxiliary input - only has radio and CD. I have a huge collection of MP3 music but can't play them in car. The most direct thing to do is to change the entire system but that cost some $$ which I don't wish to spend on this old car. Also, I like the radio and have got used to its operations over the years.

I have tried the cheap FM modulator but the sound quality is bad. What's the best way to enable MP3 playing without changing my head unit? Or is it even possible?

vr2turbo

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (chopin @ Sep 9 2011, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all. I own an old Wira 1.5 that has an audio player that doesn't have any USB or auxiliary input - only has radio and CD. I have a huge collection of MP3 music but can't play them in car. The most direct thing to do is to change the entire system but that cost some $$ which I don't wish to spend on this old car. Also, I like the radio and have got used to its operations over the years.

I have tried the cheap FM modulator but the sound quality is bad. What's the best way to enable MP3 playing without changing my head unit? Or is it even possible?

Can your CD play MP3 format? If can, burn your MP3 music into CD's and play from there.
Other then that, lower end HU with USB, are quite cheap nowadays..... smile_tongue.gif

rallychamp

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Sep 9 2011, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can your CD play MP3 format? If can, burn your MP3 music into CD's and play from there.
Other then that, lower end HU with USB, are quite cheap nowadays..... smile_tongue.gif

go to accessories shop or any big shopping center and see at car accessories dept. they got those MP3/FM transmitter...

where u plug the transmitter at cig. lighter hole as power supply...then u plug your microSD card or usb thumbdrive on that transmitter....

the transmitter would send signal (FM signal) that u tune to the same frequency to receive the transmitter signal to hear your song..

plenty of type and design...all china made...really cheap considering that the cost to replace HU....

but don't put high hope on the sound quality....the best u can get is like any normal radio station when the reception was perfect level....so if u more into powerfull quality audio this surely not the best for you...

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

kohf1drive

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

kohf1drive

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts
QUOTE (chopin @ Sep 9 2011, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You buy the cassette that come with 3.5mm jack which you can play like 'aux'. The possibility is you can directly connect it to hp with 3.5mm jack output or a bluetooth dongle (eg sony ericsson mh100) which can connect to any bluetooth enable device

vr2turbo

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Sep 9 2011, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
go to accessories shop or any big shopping center and see at car accessories dept. they got those MP3/FM transmitter...

where u plug the transmitter at cig. lighter hole as power supply...then u plug your microSD card or usb thumbdrive on that transmitter....

the transmitter would send signal (FM signal) that u tune to the same frequency to receive the transmitter signal to hear your song..

plenty of type and design...all china made...really cheap considering that the cost to replace HU....

but don't put high hope on the sound quality....the best u can get is like any normal radio station when the reception was perfect level....so if u more into powerfull quality audio this surely not the best for you...

Yup, if run on FM signal then get radio quality. Last time mt friend fittedCD changer but don't want wire, so use radio frequency, but sound not nice..... smile_blackeye.gif

chopin

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

chopin

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Sep 9 2011, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi vr2turbo: my CD player can only handle audio CDs, so this option is out.

chopin

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

chopin

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Sep 9 2011, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but don't put high hope on the sound quality....

Hi rallychamp: yeah, you are right, the sound quality is not nice, I've tried that. definitely not enjoyable on a 4-hour journey KL-Penang cruise.

mellow.gif

chopin

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

chopin

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
QUOTE (kohf1drive @ Sep 9 2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You buy the cassette that come with 3.5mm jack which you can play like 'aux'. The possibility is you can directly connect it to hp with 3.5mm jack output or a bluetooth dongle (eg sony ericsson mh100) which can connect to any bluetooth enable device

Hi kohf1drive: My player don't have a cassette deck, and also don't have any aux input nor any headphone slot. abt this bluetooth thing - i don't know much abt it, can give more info?

vr2turbo

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (chopin @ Sep 9 2011, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi vr2turbo: my CD player can only handle audio CDs, so this option is out.

Then it is a very old set. Get a HU with USB leh.... not expensive now..... smile_tongue.gif

ain206

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

ain206

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
like bro Vr2turbo said , HU are cheap nowadays. those with USB/AUX can be purchase around rm300.Unless you have an old high end HU w/out USB/AUX, then the FM modulator is your only choice. Rip your music into the highest MP3 quality and you will should be able to listen to a fairly good MP3 through your Thumbdrive with the modulator. With my std HU using the same method i get at time better sound than the Cda. but need to do a little meddling with the software when ripping the music to MP3.....