Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Depollution System Faulty

• Please log in to reply

kaminski

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

kaminski

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
QUOTE (chargerguy @ Jun 17 2013, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pal,

There will be some on and off.. The CEL and Depollution is very general and does not mean anything unless it is in limp mode..It might be my luck or the way we maintain our car coz 3 Prince at home hardly have Depol unless something is wrong such as high pressure fuel pump, diverter, carbon build up, plug,coil etc etc but this is happening to all brand as well...However,SC is kinda laid back on customer problems..sad.gif

1 cent

Kinda laid back as in adopting a horizontal position smile_question.gif LOL
The way to combat obnoxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.

Some bugger hijacked my Avatar!

chargerguy

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

chargerguy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
In whatsoever position that u can think of...kaKAkaKAkaKAkaKAkaKAkaKA

smile_big.gif smile_big.gif

paipair

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

paipair

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
suddenly with no reason depollution error at 41,000km, age of car 35months, lucky another 1 month to go for warranty.

Changed timing chain & decarbo (sorry i dont know those tech terms). Done at Puchong SC. Now car OK..but really worry what will happen soon...

jmkoo

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

jmkoo

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
QUOTE (paipair @ Aug 5 2013, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
suddenly with no reason depollution error at 41,000km, age of car 35months, lucky another 1 month to go for warranty.

Changed timing chain & decarbo (sorry i dont know those tech terms). Done at Puchong SC. Now car OK..but really worry what will happen soon...

Thanks for sharing and good to know.

The timing chain is another source of problem for de-pollution fault. Read from other forums including BMW-MINI that the tensioner and chain guide can wear down and become loose after a while. The so-called death rattle; my neighbor has the Mini and everytime the car is started, it makes a horrible scrapping sound for 1-2 secs. Our Pug has the same start-up sound but much-much softer.

Decarbo is short for de-carbonising. It means to clean the engine from carbon deposits. 2 ways
1. To spray into the intake some petroluem based cleaner while revving the engine.
2. OPen up the engine, dismantle the "head", remove the valves (injap) and scrape out all the carbon/gum/sticky oil, grind the valve seat and re-install the engine with new gaskets.

Of course #2 is permanent way but more labour time and parts required. And to be done with correct tools. I will only open up the engine at last resort because once this is done, the engine never feels the same again. This is like major surgery being done.

jklow123

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

jklow123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
QUOTE (jmkoo @ Aug 5 2013, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for sharing and good to know.

The timing chain is another source of problem for de-pollution fault. Read from other forums including BMW-MINI that the tensioner and chain guide can wear down and become loose after a while. The so-called death rattle; my neighbor has the Mini and everytime the car is started, it makes a horrible scrapping sound for 1-2 secs. Our Pug has the same start-up sound but much-much softer.

Decarbo is short for de-carbonising. It means to clean the engine from carbon deposits. 2 ways
1. To spray into the intake some petroluem based cleaner while revving the engine.
2. OPen up the engine, dismantle the "head", remove the valves (injap) and scrape out all the carbon/gum/sticky oil, grind the valve seat and re-install the engine with new gaskets.

Of course #2 is permanent way but more labour time and parts required. And to be done with correct tools. I will only open up the engine at last resort because once this is done, the engine never feels the same again. This is like major surgery being done.

Root cause: EGR + Direct Injection leading to excessive carbon buildup around INLET valve.
As exhaust gases are leaving via the exhaust valve, a small portion of the hot, dirty exhaust gases are re-routed by EGR back into the inlet valve. This hot gas is not cooled down by any cooler, unlike in VWs where there's an EGR cooler.
The Peugeot's EGR system cannot be removed from the engine...unlike on locally-assembled Putra and Satria GTi's glorious 4G93 twin cam engines.

As the hot dirty gas mixes with fresh air-fuel mixture and enters the combustion chamber, carbon builds up very slowly around the INLET valve. When build-up becomes excessive, the carbon becomes red hot and starts igniting the airfuel mixture thus causing knocking. That's when you get that warning message. At that moment, to "save" the engine, the ECU instructs all injectors to go into max duty-cycle mode pumping in loads of fuel to cool things down, and ECU retards ignition timing....sudden loss of power, but engine is safe.

Pouring injector cleaner or similar products into fuel tank won't work because since its direct injection, the injectors are spraying straight at piston top....it cannot spray upwards towards the roof of combustion chamber (where the valves+carbon are situated).

Hence, the only way is to perform manual cleaning of the valve area. Using machines that pump in detergents might work and I've heard of one guy who can do a decent job, but don't have his contact details.

zentra

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

zentra

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
QUOTE (jklow123 @ Oct 6 2013, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hence, the only way is to perform manual cleaning of the valve area. Using machines that pump in detergents might work and I've heard of one guy who can do a decent job, but don't have his contact details.

bro chargerguy is the man for this - I have been extremely happy (and many, many others too) with his decarbo service. Top notch, handles your car well, and a true Pug guru. Best preventive maintenance for a direct-injection turbo car. smile_thumbup.gif

thedoc

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

thedoc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
QUOTE (zentra @ Oct 11 2013, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bro chargerguy is the man for this - I have been extremely happy (and many, many others too) with his decarbo service. Top notch, handles your car well, and a true Pug guru. Best preventive maintenance for a direct-injection turbo car. smile_thumbup.gif

I do agree with zentra. I also had my pug done by chargerguy. It works wonderfully now.

flatliner

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

flatliner

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts
monday blues because of depollution!! somemore out of warranty...jialat this time??

which would be the best sc in klang valley to troubleshoot this? geoauto still ok? im tempted to send to kota damansara as near my office.

also, which sc/workshop carries reconditioned/refurbished parts for 308 turbo?

chargerguy, everyone saying your 'service' damn good, so may contact you for a quote soon smile_big.gif

chargerguy

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

chargerguy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
QUOTE (jklow123 @ Oct 6 2013, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Root cause: EGR + Direct Injection leading to excessive carbon buildup around INLET valve.
As exhaust gases are leaving via the exhaust valve, a small portion of the hot, dirty exhaust gases are re-routed by EGR back into the inlet valve. This hot gas is not cooled down by any cooler, unlike in VWs where there's an EGR cooler.
The Peugeot's EGR system cannot be removed from the engine...unlike on locally-assembled Putra and Satria GTi's glorious 4G93 twin cam engines.

As the hot dirty gas mixes with fresh air-fuel mixture and enters the combustion chamber, carbon builds up very slowly around the INLET valve. When build-up becomes excessive, the carbon becomes red hot and starts igniting the airfuel mixture thus causing knocking. That's when you get that warning message. At that moment, to "save" the engine, the ECU instructs all injectors to go into max duty-cycle mode pumping in loads of fuel to cool things down, and ECU retards ignition timing....sudden loss of power, but engine is safe.

Pouring injector cleaner or similar products into fuel tank won't work because since its direct injection, the injectors are spraying straight at piston top....it cannot spray upwards towards the roof of combustion chamber (where the valves+carbon are situated).

Pal,

Our car and most of the newer DI car dun have the EGR already..smile.gif

QUOTE (zentra @ Oct 11 2013, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks pal for recommending..smile.gif How's ur car lately??..

QUOTE (thedoc @ Oct 12 2013, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do agree with zentra. I also had my pug done by chargerguy. It works wonderfully now.

Thanks Doc..smile.gif The steering must feel very very good...LOL

QUOTE (flatliner @ Oct 14 2013, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
monday blues because of depollution!! somemore out of warranty...jialat this time??

which would be the best sc in klang valley to troubleshoot this? geoauto still ok? im tempted to send to kota damansara as near my office.

also, which sc/workshop carries reconditioned/refurbished parts for 308 turbo?

chargerguy, everyone saying your 'service' damn good, so may contact you for a quote soon smile_big.gif

Sure pal..smile.gif

Cheers

zentra

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

zentra

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
QUOTE (chargerguy @ Oct 14 2013, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks pal for recommending..smile.gif How's ur car lately??..

So far still so good smile.gif Coming up to 50k service soon. Will ping you soon.